bg_right

About the Cultural History Museum of Åland

The Cultural History Museum of Åland is the region’s central museum – a cultural history museum covering archaeology, ethnology, architecture and natural history. The museum was founded in 1934, as a consequence of the Åland Islands gaining their autonomy in 1922 and assuming responsibility for the conservation of the region’s historical heritage.

It took until 1981 before the museum got its own, purpose-built locality. The building, centrally located in the centre of Mariehamn next to the town hall and the regional administration building, was designed by Professor Helmer Stenroos of Helsinki.

The permanent section of the exhibition presents the Åland Islands in the broadest sense, from past to present. The year after the exhibition opened, in 1982, the Åland Museum was awarded the Council of Europe Museum Prize. The award is given annually to a museum whose activities have promoted the understanding of European cultural traditions.