bg_right
postimage-714

The Postmaster’s Office

 The Eckerö Post and Customs House, designed by the architects Carl Ludvig Engel and Carlo Bassi, was erected in 1828. On Åland, the Bomarsund fortress and the Eckerö Post and Customs House are the two structures most representative of the Russian period in Finnish history. The Post and Customs House constituted the customs border between Russia and Sweden for over a century.

Through the years this impressive Empire-style building has housed many an important person – border postmasters, customs collectors and sheriffs. In one of the downstairs rooms, the postmaster’s office can be found. This so-called “contoire” holds an exhibition reflecting the building in its heyday in the 1830s.